Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Monday, August 20, 2007

My Rock Star Boyfriend



Ok friends. If you have known me for more than 5 minutes you know that I have been in love with Phil Joel (formerly of the Newsboys, although sometimes still with the Newsboys :) for almost half of my life. I'd like to give you a breakdown--a chronological calendar of events--of our relationship. Here you go......(ps: more bullet points for you fans out there!)



  • 1994: Phil Joel joins the Newsboys

  • 1994: I lay eyes on Phil Joel for the first time on tv--actually on the making of the "Shine" video

  • 1995: I see Newsboys for the first time in concert at the USF sundome

  • 1995: Same day. My friends & I stalk down the Newsboys after their set & wait for them at their bus. Yes....I was a 15 year old groupie

  • 1995: Also the same day. I touch Phil Joel's hair and arm. Oh my goodness--it is official. I AM IN LOVE. Love people.

  • 1995: Same beautiful day. I take about 10,000 pictures with Phil Joel before being dragged away by security. PS....I LOVE him.

  • 1995-2002: I attend every Newsboys concert that comes within 5 hours of me. And at each concert I get there hours early to have front row seats. I stand at the stage. I mouth, "I love you Phil Joel" every time he comes near me. I try to touch his shoes. I am IN LOVE people.

  • 2000: My roomate gives me a life-size cardboard cutout of Phil Joel. He lives with me until I get married. When I had roomates he lived in my closet--my secret love. When I lived by myself he stayed with me in my bedroom. However--we remained pure--he slept in the extra bed :)

  • 2000--2004: I buy Phil Joel's solo albums & rock out to them pretty much every time I'm in the car by myself.
  • 2001: I carry my Phil with me to the Festival Con Dios concert. Although being a grown woman I am peer-pressured by the students in our ministry to leave him in the car. I cry silent tears.

  • 2002: I get married to Matt Setliffe

  • 2002: Matt Setliffe carries Phil Joel to the dumpster & tells me to move on.

  • 2002: I see Phil Joel's wife at a concert. She is blond and beautiful. And being newly married myself I realize that the love affair is over. We will just be friends. And I'm ok with that. I have fallen more in love with Matt Setliffe than I ever was with Phil Joel. Plus Matt Setliffe will kiss me back.

  • 2006: I find out that our best friends, spur58, have just signed to the same record label as Phil Joel. They mock me & say that maybe they'll get me an autograph. I'm still waiting guys.

  • 2006: Christmas time. I get a message from Jamie, and then 3 minutes later get a message from Maris. THEY MET HIM!!!!!!! They were at a label Christmas party and he was there. And THEY TALKED TO HIM!!!!!!! I am insanely jealous. Matt Setliffe tells me to move on.

  • 2007: The other day. I pull out my old Phil Joel cds that I have not listened to in at least a year. (I am trying to move on people....) I open the cd booklet.......and guess what I found???? A song. A song called "El Salvador". He had written it after going there on a mission trip with his wife. I had forgotten all about it. So all day long I listened to my old flame sing a beautiful song about the place of my daughter's birth. The place that is so dear & close to my heart right now. And I love him all over again. But not in a oh my gosh, you are so dang hot & I want to kiss you sort of way. But in a, wow. God is so funny. We really are friends--God has given us a heartbeat for the same place. Now how cool is that???

  • ps....I still secretly LOVE you Phil Joel :)


15 comments:

the kirkseys said...

oh my gosh. at first i was like, "we need to get you out of the house more rachel." and then at the end of your post, i totally had goosebumps. for real : D

Virginia said...

lol! that's great! (I used to secretly have a crush on him too, but alas, I did not have the fervor that you did.) ;)

That's vrey cool. Love it.

Anonymous said...

You might be my favorite person today, you CRACK ME UP! I admit to having a crush on Sean Austin...have I mentioned we have the same feet (FROTO)? Oh, and I like multiple breakfasts too! :) TEE HEE! But your song...tops it all...I know it doesn't compare to you, but I cannot wait to see that little girl of yours!!!!

Jackie said...

AHHHH.... I am LAUGHING so hard. Rachel, seriously, you crack me up.
That is awesome about the song though- God works in cool ways- I can't wait to meet Bella. Ava will be such a good big-sister.
Let's get together soon!!
Take care!

Anonymous said...

Rachel- I will have you know that I laughed out loud like 3 times while reading this! "Plus Matt Setliffe will kiss me back." hahhaha I will never forget standing there in the dining room talking to him not paying attention to ONE word he was saying and thinking to myself, "Oh Rachel is going to die when I tell her about this!" I can hear you say every word of this blog. I miss you so much.

dreamingBIGdreams said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!

Ben and Crystin said...

I had to get Ben to come read this with me. It was hilarious! We were laughing out loud the whole time. You are so funny.....another reason you are so awesome. Oh, and once you are out of debt, I'll go with you and try on tons of party dresses! :)

Anonymous said...

his hair smells as wonderful as it looks

Jackie said...

oh- let me know when ya'll are going- I will def. try to go with you!! I haven't signed up for the Bible study, but I was looking at it, thinking about signing up. I may go ahead and do it!
can't wait to hang out with you and miss ava!

Anonymous said...

Rachel!!!! I love reading your blog, when I saw the title I started cracking up! I remember you telling me about your crush when we first started getting to know each other. Then when I read about you taking him to Festival Con Dios, I was dying laughing! Your blog made my night with memories! Miss you! You & Matt need to take a trip to Austin next and come see John & I! Love you!

Marlers said...

Hey there!! I am so glad that I found your blog again!! I had it on my old computer and completely forgot that you had a blogspot! Congratulations on your adoption! What an amazing blessing for you and this sweet baby! Check out our growing family as well!! We have added another girl to the clan and are pretty sure that we are complete! They are definitely out voting me these days! Tell Matt hello and we sure would love to see yall!!!

Brandon & Sharla
The Marlers

Anonymous said...

I actually gave the Phil Joel cut-out to an eigth grader who liked the newsboys...i did not throw him away...just so the world knows.

P.S. I saw the Newsboys a few months ago and they really hoover without him though.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just learned something new about you! I am glad I found your blog! You need to read Bella at Midnight! I think you'd like it!
Cindy

ginger said...

i have seriously come back and read this blog four times and laughed out loud every time... i absolutely love it! you're so great! i love you!

melneyann said...

Wow...I mean wow!! That's so amazingly wonderful. I mean wow!!!

You've actually kissed Matt Setliffe?????